Get Started With TaxWise® 2019 Professional Tax & Accounting Software
Are you a new TaxWise user? The following links will provide you with the necessary information that you need to get set up for the first time and help you get the most out of your new tax software.
TaxWise 2019 Quick Start Resources
To help you get up and running with TaxWise, we’ve created a few helpful resources that will guide you through the process.
Get started quickly with TaxWise by accessing the TaxWise Learning Portal. The TaxWise Learning Portal provides an on-demand learning path to help you get the most out of your tax software. The TaxWise Education Team has put together a comprehensive curriculum to ensure that you have what you need to get up and running. Click the link below for instructions on how to access the learning portal.
Should you have any questions or concerns along the way, please feel free to visit our Support Site linked below. From there, you can access our knowledge base, contact support and find other helpful resources to help you get started.
TaxWise Expert Services
Let us focus on the things we do well, and we'll let you focus on the things you do well. Add TaxWise Expert Services for Installation and Conversion support
If you purchased TaxWise Online, use the Client ID and Registration Code that you’ve received in an email to log in to the TaxWise Online as the Admin User. Be sure to bookmark and save the login link below as you will need it to access TaxWise Online.
Want to practice preparing returns in a simulated environment? Visit the training section of TaxWise Online here to start practicing today. For the training environment, you will use the same login information as you would for the live instance.
TaxWise Online Login Page
To set up TaxWise Desktop for the first time, we encourage you to download the TaxWise 2019 Quick Start Guide below as it will walk you through how to install the software.Download the TaxWise 2019 Quick Start Guide
Helpful Resources for TaxWise and TaxWise Online
Store the code to install your software for future use (found in the registration code email or on the Solution Center download page) you will need this code to: activate your software, log in to the Solution Center or TWO for the first time, or reset your ADMIN password. The Solution Center or TWO password for ADMIN does not reset to the product installation code each year.
Important: To ensure you receive your Shipping Confirmation Email, be sure to add wolterskluwer.com as a safe sender.
Verify that you are in compliance with IRS regulatory requirements. We recommend you:
- Apply for or renew your PTIN and ensure your staff members have renewed their PTINs.
- Update your e-file application or apply for a new EFIN if needed. Consult IRS Pub 3112 for more information.
- Review your due diligence for EITC, Head of Household and various credits and IRS Circular 230 requirements and confirm your office procedures comply.
As members of the IRS Security Summit, we are committed to protecting confidential taxpayer information. We have upgraded our products to meet the recommendations and best practices set forth in IRS Publication 4557, Safeguarding Taxpayer Data.
The initial release of TaxWise 2019 will require all users to establish a user account and password. Please note that prior year passwords will not work with the current year TaxWise software. Passwords must follow these guidelines:
- 8-20 characters
- At least 1 UPPER case letter
- At least 1 lower case letter
- At least 1 number
- At least 1 punctuation or special character (e.g. ? ! $ & * )
- Spaces are allowed
Important reminders about passwords:
- Passwords expire every 90 days: Users will be able to reset their own passwords.
- Failed Login restrictions: After 5 failed login attempts, users will be locked out of the system. Administrators will be able to unlock these users. Admin users who are locked out will be required to enter the registration code to unlock the Admin account.
- Login will be required after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- Login will be required every 24 hours.
Please check your TaxWise Release Notes and follow the TaxWise Blog for more information on the upcoming release of these features.
The TaxWise Solution Center offers news, information, and advice for using TaxWise.
- Log in to the TaxWise Solution Center. Click Login at top of page. Enter your Client ID. In the User Name field, enter admin. In the Password field, enter code to install your software found on your registration code email. You will be prompted to create a new password. Follow the prompts.
- Verify and if needed, update your office address, email, contact names, credit card and other company information on file with Wolters Kluwer. (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then My Office link.)
- Verify your e-filing, bank program and other transactional fees BEFORE you start preparing and e-filing tax returns! (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then Per Return Fees link.)
- Make sure we have your EFIN on file or you will not be able to e-file returns. (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then EFIN Request.)
- Enter Customer Environment information. (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then Environment.)
- Add, edit or deactivate users. (Log in as ADMIN, click Manage Users in the top left corner.)
- If you purchased Return Retrieval, download copies of your prior year e-filed returns. To purchase Return Retrieval, call your Account Manager at 800-495-4626.
- On the Solution Center login page, click Need Help?
- Knowledge Library — Answer ID 947, Unable to log into the Customer Support Site
- Knowledge Library — Answer ID 378, User Roles and Functions Chart
- Enroll in a bank program or FeeCollect by completing the application on the TaxWise Solution Center or within COM for multiple offices.
- Verify your e-filing, bank program or other transactional fees on the TaxWise Solution Center BEFORE you start e-filing!
- Enter certain non-preparer fees on the Price Sheet in TaxWise using Tax Form Defaults or Templates.
- Comply with training, due diligence and other requirements of your bank.
- For TaxWise Desktop, download bank software (available in December on the Solution Center Download page). TaxWise Online performs these downloads automatically so your bank program is ready to work when you are!
- Order checks from your bank if you will print checks for clients.
- Familiarize yourself and staff with the check printing process.
- Subscribe to IRS Quick Alerts, e-News for Tax Professionals and more
- Visit the IRS Return Preparer Office Facebook page
- Join the TaxWise Community Discussion Board on the Solution Center
- Read the TaxWise Blog; access from within TaxWise; click the Notifications button
- Find answers in the Knowledge Library
Take advantage of over 100 years of tax and accounting knowledge directly at your fingertips. Learn how your business can benefit from tax prep workflow.Learn More
CPE Link, the leading provider of online CPE training programs, offers a robust web-based CPE curriculum featuring over 300 webinars and 400 self-study courses. Check out our subscription options and top selling courses here or call your account manager for additional details.Learn More
Get Your Credentials
Up your tax professional game by earning your professional credentials. Surgent offers proven exam preparation that simulates the exam format and customizes course content allowing you to target areas that need the most focus.Learn More
As a trusted leader in tax research, our books and publications deliver comprehensive coverage and authoritative reports on tax legislation.Learn More
- TaxWise Solution Center or access from within TaxWise
- Knowledge Library (Knowledgebase): Access from the Solution Center
- TaxWise Blog: Access from within TaxWise or from the Solution Center
- TaxWise Community Board: Access from the Solution Center
- Customer Care Bulletin email: Don't miss important information (you must opt in)
- Support Phone: 866-641-9473
TaxWise Desktop customers must configure and download state modules. TaxWise Online performs these updates automatically so your tax software is ready to work when you are!
- Add states to your tax package on the Solution Center
- Download state modules from the Solution Center
- TaxWise Program Help (access from Help Menu) — Getting State/Bank Software and Program Updates
- TaxWise 2019 User Guide (access from Toolbar) — Program Updates and Module Updates
What's New in TaxWise 2019
New for 2019, TaxWise is introducing multi-factor authentication for many of our supported products and sites.
What is 2-Step Verification and why is it important?
Two-step Verification is an additional security measure that increases security by sending users a one-time code that authenticates identity and the device from which they are logging in, adding a layer of protection more resilient than a password alone can provide.
A password is a single factor in the authentication process that verifies a user’s identity. 2-Step Verification requires a second factor in addition to the password as part of the authentication process. This requirement adds another layer of protection against hacking and fraud attempts. If a criminal hacks through your password layer, they'll still need your phone or access to your email account to get into your account.
With recent rises in tax-related identity theft and phishing attacks, thieves can take over the credentials of tax office staff or their clients to gain access to confidential financial data including tax returns, financial statements and more. Simple passwords - or even complex passwords requiring various combinations of letters, numbers and special characters - may not be enough to protect sensitive firm and client data.
Which Small Firms products are impacted and when?
2-Step verification will be in place for the upcoming tax season for the following products and services:
- TaxWise Online (TWO)
- Central Office Manager (COM)
- Online Check Printing (OCP)
- Support Sites
- CCH iFirm
When will users need to log in with 2-Step Verification?
2-Step Verification will be optional for customers during tax season 2019. After choosing to enable this security enhancement, users will see changes in the following areas:
- During the log-in process
- From any new device or computer
- From any new web browser on a registered/trusted device
- After any password reset
New 1040 Layout and Tax Law Changes (Desktop and Online)
TaxWise has updated all forms to comply with the new tax reform. The way you input everything (W2s, 1099Rs, Extension Payments, etc) is the same, the only difference is where it will show up in the program. We have kept the input fields in the same place as much as possible, for minimum impact to you.
Changes to the Load of Due Diligence Forms (Desktop and Online)
To help keep you in compliance, TaxWise will now trigger a warning when the user runs diagnostics if these 3 conditions are met:
- The fee on the price sheet is greater than zero, indicating that it’s a paid return
- The preparer name and firm name are both blank, these are what we use to determine that there is a paid preparer listed on the return and whether the 8867 should load or not.
- There is a credit claimed for any of the following: EIC, child tax credit, additional child tax credit, credit for other dependents, American opportunity tax credit; OR the filing status is head of household.
The warning text is:
There is a fee present on the price sheet and Form 8867 is required to be completed for paid returns but neither the paid preparer name or firm name have been entered on the Main Information Sheet. Form 8867 will not load if this information is not entered. Is this correct? (W67)
Redesigned Support Site (Desktop and Online)
The TaxWise Support Site has been redesigned to improve performance and usability.
TaxWise Online e-Signature (Online Only)
TaxWise Online will now offer an e-signature feature. This enhancement can be used for in-person or remote signatures on the tax return.
TaxWise 2019 Education Library
The quickest way to learn more about the functions and features within TaxWise is by visiting the TaxWise Learning Portal. The TaxWise Learning Portal offers an extensive list of comprehensive how-to videos that will help you get started with TaxWise.
In addition to each video, you'll be able to download a PDF covering the topic in greater depth. Topics covered in the Learning Portal include using the Setup Assistant, downloading state modules, managing passwords, creating users, using print packages, new enhancements and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your Electronic Filing Identification Number (EFIN) is provided by IRS E-Services and is required to E-file tax returns. Once you have obtained your EFIN, you will need to upload it to the TaxWise support site along with a copy of your IRS EFIN letter.
If you already have an EFIN, you will need to upload the EFIN letter you’ve received from the IRS. Instructions on how to upload the EFIN letter can be found here.
If you don’t have an EFIN or the IRS EFIN letter, you will need to obtain one from the IRS. Instructions can be found by visiting the IRS e-Services page or by calling 866-255-0654.
The Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) is issued by the IRS and is required of all preparers. It is used to keep your preparer account information current and to receive communications from the IRS Return Preparer Office. A PTIN can be applied for and obtained by visiting the IRS PTIN page.
Your Client ID is a number assigned to you by Wolters Kluwer. This Client ID will be used to register your software, gain access to certain sections of the Solution Center and allow you to dial into support. You should receive an email containing your Client ID shortly after purchasing your software.
Your Registration Code is issued by TaxWise and is required to login to the TaxWise support site, login to TaxWise Online the first time, register your TaxWise Desktop software and to reset your Admin password. Shortly after purchasing your TaxWise software, you should receive your Registration Code in an email from us.
If you have previously logged into the TaxWise support site as an Admin user and have created a password, you can find your Registration Code here.
If you have not received your Registration Code after having purchased TaxWise, you will need to have your Client ID on hand and contact our support team at 866-641-9473. Once obtained, please be sure to keep both items in a safe place for future reference.
To obtain a copy of your invoice, visit the TaxWise Support Site. Under Account Services, select Billing Detail and enter a date range to search for your invoices during that time frame. Frequently Asked Questions about TaxWise® 2
To register for a TaxWise training event, visit our Events page and sign up for one of our TaxWise training sessions.
For information on how to get started with TaxWise, visit the TaxWise Getting Started page.
We also have a Knowledge Base found here that you can use to find helpful articles on a variety of topics.
To get help with your new software, please visit the TaxWise Support Site. On the TaxWise Support Site, you will find the phone number and hours for support listed as well as a link to live chats. Live chats are also available in Spanish.
Other self-help links on this page include the TaxWise Blog, Knowledge Library, Latest News and the Onboarding Libraries. Also, you can always access helpful information directly within the TaxWise software under the Help menu which can also be accessed by pressing the F1 key.
If you are having issues navigating the TaxWise Support Site, be sure to visit our Knowledge Base. From the TaxWise Support Site, select the Knowledge Base link. The Knowledge Base offers many helpful articles such as how to navigate the support site, how to view and change billing methods, where to access COA requests and view invoices.
Each product comes with a helpful guide that can be found under Program Help. To access these guides, be sure to search for Guide to Entering 1040 Tax Data under the Help tab. This will tell you where to enter information and access various forms within TaxWise.
Only TaxWise Desktop administrators can reset passwords. Under the File menu, select Reset Admin Password. You will need your Client ID, EFIN and Registration Code. Once this info is provided, the Admin user account password will be reset to blank. When you log back into TaxWise, the system will then ask you to create a new password.
For all other TaxWise Desktop users, you will need to contact your company’s TaxWise administrator to have them reset your password.
TaxWise Online users can reset their password directly from the TaxWise login page. On the login page, select Forgot username or password and follow the prompts to reset your password.
To find out when you can E-file in your state, visit the TaxWise Support Site. Under Quick Links, select Module Delivery and E-file Dates. Enter your login credentials, select your jurisdiction and you will see the estimated and actual release dates as well as estimated and actual E-file release dates.
If you would like to download a printable version of the FAQ, please be sure to download the TaxWise FAQ here.
Our knowledgeable Orientation Team gets you started on the road to software expertise with two, one-hour Orientation webinars that introduce you to your tax software and the many tools and resources available to you. Each webinar concludes with a question-and-answer period.
Product training does not qualify for CPE credit.
Orientation webinars are included with many tax software packages. When you purchase one of these packages, the Orientation Team contacts you to schedule your webinars.
Once you complete orientation, you can sign up for additional courses to further your understanding of the program and the benefits for your company. Click here for Quick Start course descriptions and more details.
Webinars offer training for you and your staff from the comfort of your home or office, requiring only internet access. These convenient sessions cover a wide variety of topics to help you get the most from your tax software and prepare for tax season. Simply register online or contact your Software Consultant.
The webinar schedule is updated throughout the year, so visit our registration website at events.cchsfs.com for the latest offerings.
Product training does not qualify for CPE credit.