Get Started With TaxWise® 2018 Professional Tax & Accounting Software
The following links will provide you with the necessary information to set up your 2018 TaxWise tax software, download the Tax Season Essentials, and brush up on software features.
What's New in TaxWise 2018
New for 2018, TaxWise is introducing multi-factor authentication for many of our supported products and sites.
What is 2-Step Verification and why is it important?
Two-step Verification is an additional security measure that increases security by sending users a one-time code that authenticates identity and the device from which they are logging in, adding a layer of protection more resilient than a password alone can provide.
A password is a single factor in the authentication process that verifies a user’s identity. 2-Step Verification requires a second factor in addition to the password as part of the authentication process. This requirement adds another layer of protection against hacking and fraud attempts. If a criminal hacks through your password layer, they'll still need your phone or access to your email account to get into your account.
With recent rises in tax-related identity theft and phishing attacks, thieves can take over the credentials of tax office staff or their clients to gain access to confidential financial data including tax returns, financial statements and more. Simple passwords - or even complex passwords requiring various combinations of letters, numbers and special characters - may not be enough to protect sensitive firm and client data.
Which Small Firms products are impacted and when?
2-Step verification will be in place for the upcoming tax season for the following products and services:
- TaxWise Online (TWO)
- Central Office Manager (COM)
- Online Check Printing (OCP)
- Support Sites
- CCH iFirm
When will users need to log in with 2-Step Verification?
2-Step Verification will be optional for customers during tax season 2018. After choosing to enable this security enhancement, users will see changes in the following areas:
- During the log-in process
- From any new device or computer
- From any new web browser on a registered/trusted device
- After any password reset
New 1040 Layout and Tax Law Changes (Desktop and Online)
TaxWise has updated all forms to comply with the new tax reform. The way you input everything (W2s, 1099Rs, Extension Payments, etc) is the same, the only difference is where it will show up in the program. We have kept the input fields in the same place as much as possible, for minimum impact to you.
Changes to the Load of Due Diligence Forms (Desktop and Online)
To help keep you in compliance, TaxWise will now trigger a warning when the user runs diagnostics if these 3 conditions are met:
- The fee on the price sheet is greater than zero, indicating that it’s a paid return
- The preparer name and firm name are both blank, these are what we use to determine that there is a paid preparer listed on the return and whether the 8867 should load or not.
- There is a credit claimed for any of the following: EIC, child tax credit, additional child tax credit, credit for other dependents, American opportunity tax credit; OR the filing status is head of household.
The warning text is:
There is a fee present on the price sheet and Form 8867 is required to be completed for paid returns but neither the paid preparer name or firm name have been entered on the Main Information Sheet. Form 8867 will not load if this information is not entered. Is this correct? (W67)
Redesigned Support Site (Desktop and Online)
The TaxWise Support Site has been redesigned to improve performance and usability.
TaxWise Online e-Signature (Online Only)
TaxWise Online will now offer an e-signature feature. This enhancement can be used for in-person or remote signatures on the tax return.
TaxWise Setup Checklist
Store the code to install your software for future use (found on the fulfillment slip, shipping email, or on the Solution Center download page) you will need this code to: activate your software, log in to the Solution Center for the first time, or reset your ADMIN password on the Solution Center. The Solution Center password for ADMIN does not reset to the product installation code each year.
To ensure you receive your Shipping Confirmation Email, be sure to add cchsfs.com as a safe sender.
Verify that you are in compliance with IRS regulatory requirements. We recommend you:
- Renew Your PTIN and ensure your staff members have renewed their PTINs.
- Update your e-file application or apply for a new EFIN if needed. Consult IRS Pub 3112 for more information.
- Review EITC due diligence and IRS Circular 230 requirements and confirm your office procedures comply.
As members of the IRS Security Summit, we are committed to protecting confidential taxpayer information. We're upgrading our products to meet the recommendations and best practices set forth in IRS Publication 4557, Safeguarding Taxpayer Data.
The initial release of TaxWise 2017 will require all users to establish a user account and password. Please note that your TaxWise 2016 software password will not work, and will need to be updated for TaxWise 2017. Passwords must follow these guidelines:
- 8-20 characters
- At least 1 UPPER case letter
- At least 1 lower case letter
- At least 1 number
- At least 1 punctuation or special character (e.g. ? ! $ & * )
- Spaces are allowed
Important reminders about passwords:
- Password expiration every 90 days: Users will be able to reset their own passwords.
- Failed Login restrictions: After 5 failed login attempts, users will be locked out of the system. Administrators will be able to unlock these users. Admin users who are locked out will be required to enter the product activation code to unlock the Admin account.
- Login will be required after 15 minutes of inactivity.
- Login will be required every 24 hours.
Please check your TaxWise Release Notes and follow the TaxWise Blog for more information on the upcoming release of these features.
The TaxWise Solution Center offers news, information, and advice for using TaxWise.
- Log in to the TaxWise Solution Center. Click Login at top of page. Enter your Client ID. In the User Name field, enter admin. In the Password field, enter code to install your software found on your Fulfillment Confirmation Slip. You will be prompted to create a new password. Follow the prompts.
- Verify and if needed, update your office address, email, contact names, credit card and other company information on file with SFS. (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then My Office link.)
- Verify your e-filing, bank program and other transactional fees BEFORE you start preparing and e-filing tax returns! (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then Per Return Fees link.)
- Make sure we have your EFIN on file or you will not be able to e-file returns. (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then EFIN Request.)
- Enter Customer Environment information. (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then Environment.)
- Add, edit or deactivate users. (Log in as ADMIN, click Manage Users in the top left corner.)
- If you purchased Return Retrieval, download copies of your prior year e-filed returns. To purchase Return Retrieval, call your Account Manager at 800-495-4626.
- On the Solution Center login page, click Need Help?
- Knowledge Library — Answer ID 947, Unable to log into the Customer Support Site
- Knowledge Library — Answer ID 378, User Roles and Functions Chart
- Enroll in a bank program or FeeCollect by completing the application on the TaxWise Solution Center.
- Verify your e-filing, bank program or other transactional fees on the TaxWise Solution Center BEFORE you start e-filing!
- Enter certain non-preparer fees on the Price Sheet in TaxWise using Tax Form Defaults.
- Comply with training, due diligence and other requirements of your bank.
- Download bank software (available in December on the Solution Center Download page).
- Order checks from your bank if you will print checks for clients.
- Familiarize yourself and staff with the check printing process.
TaxWise Desktop customers must configure and download state modules. TaxWise Online performs these updates automatically so your tax software is ready to work when you are!
- Add states to your tax package on the Solution Center
- Download state modules from the Solution Center
- TaxWise Program Help (access from Help Menu) — Getting State/Bank Software and Program Updates
- TaxWise 2017 User Guide (access from Toolbar) — Program Updates and Module Updates
- Click here to access the online Quick Start Guide
- Install your programs when your shipment arrives. Follow the instructions that fit your office setup on the System Requirements.
- In lieu of this year's limited DVD shipment, your installation is available via the TaxWise Solution Center. If you received a DVD, you can use it to install your program as well.
- Log in to the Solution Center, click the Download tab on the Solution Center.
- From the Product Updates page, click TaxWise Software on the left of the page.
- Click the link under Current Year Software to begin the download.
If your package includes TaxWise Online, use your Client ID and Registration Code found on the enclosed Fulfillment Confirmation Slip to log in to the TaxWise Online websites listed below.
- Complete TaxWise Online Pre-Season Setup and Training
- Quick Start Guide
- Your Fulfillment Confirmation Slip
TaxWise Setup Assistant
For 2017, the TaxWise Setup Assistant is smarter, helping you quickly setup for tax season. After you install and open TaxWise, the new Setup Assistant will open to walk you through the following:
- Register software
- Configure settings
- Set up office information
- Set up users and groups (do this while logged in to TaxWise as Admin)
- Set up printers and your network
- Set up general options
- Carry forward returns and other data
Set Tax Form Defaults
- Edit Tax Form Defaults (do this while logged in to TaxWise as Admin). This means adding information to forms that you want to appear in every return, for example:
- Fees on the Price Sheet
- EFIN and ERO information on Form 8879
- Preparer PIN on Main Info, and more
- Modify client letters if needed. Add a letter to Tax Form Defaults if you want it to print with every return.
NOTE: You must set Tax Form Defaults in each federal module you will use.
- TaxWise Program Help (access from Help Menu) — Tax Form Defaults; Working with Client Letters
- TaxWise 2017 User Guide (access from Toolbar) — Tax Form Defaults; Working with Client Letters
Set Print Defaults
Modify Print Packets to fit your practice, if needed.
- TaxWise Program Help (access from Help Menu) — Print Defaults
- TaxWise 2017 User Guide (access from Toolbar) — Print Defaults
- Subscribe to IRS Quick Alerts, e-News for Tax Professionals and more
- Visit the IRS Return Preparer Office Facebook page
- Join the TaxWise Community Discussion Board on the Solution Center
- Read the TaxWise Blog; access from within TaxWise; click the Notifications button
- Find answers in the Knowledge Library
Take advantage of over 100 years of tax and accounting knowledge directly at your fingertips. Learn how your business can benefit from tax prep workflow.Learn More
CPE Link, the leading provider of online CPE training programs, offers a robust web-based CPE curriculum featuring over 300 webinars and 400 self-study courses. Check out our subscription options and top selling courses here or call your account manager for additional details.Learn More
Get Your Credentials
Up your tax professional game by earning your professional credentials. Surgent offers proven exam preparation that simulates the exam format and customizes course content allowing you to target areas that need the most focus.Learn More
As a trusted leader in tax research, our books and publications deliver comprehensive coverage and authoritative reports on tax legislation.Learn More
- TaxWise Solution Center or access from within TaxWise
- Knowledge Library (Knowledgebase): Access from the Solution Center
- TaxWise Blog: Access from within TaxWise or from the Solution Center
- TaxWise Community Board: Access from the Solution Center
- Customer Care Bulletin email: Don't miss important information (you must opt in)
- Support Email: email@example.com
- Support Phone: 866-641-9473
TaxWise 2018 Education Library
The TaxWise Education Video Library features short instructional videos designed to help you work with your TaxWise software. In addition to each video, you'll be able to download a PDF on the topic. Check back often to see new topics.Learn About Your TaxWise Software
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the format of training?
The training format depends on the type of event for which you register. We offer several types of events, including webinars, online self-study, and seminars. For additional information on each type of program, click here.
How can I see if a date or venue is still available?
Access the Training Registration tool and search for the event to view open seat availability.
How can I see the schedule of events?
Some event types found on this page may have schedules linked from their section. You can also see a schedule of events by accessing the Training Registration tool and searching for the type of event you would like to participate in. You will see a list of all events for the year.
What do I need to do to prepare for my training?
In most cases, there is very little that you need to do in order to prepare for training. On each course description within the Training Registration tool, you can find the Advanced Preparation section which will tell you everything you need to do to prepare for the class.
Our knowledgeable Orientation Team gets you started on the road to software expertise with two, one-hour Orientation webinars that introduce you to your tax software and the many tools and resources available to you. Each webinar concludes with a question-and-answer period.
Product training does not qualify for CPE credit.
Orientation webinars are included with many tax software packages. When you purchase one of these packages, the Orientation Team contacts you to schedule your webinars.
Once you complete orientation, you can sign up for additional courses to further your understanding of the program and the benefits for your company. Click here for Quick Start course descriptions and more details.
Webinars offer training for you and your staff from the comfort of your home or office, requiring only internet access. These convenient sessions cover a wide variety of topics to help you get the most from your tax software and prepare for tax season. Simply register online or contact your Software Consultant.
The webinar schedule is updated throughout the year, so visit our registration website at events.cchsfs.com for the latest offerings.
Product training does not qualify for CPE credit.