TaxWise 2016 Setup
We're excited that you have chosen TaxWise tax preparation software for the 2016 tax season. We've developed this online tool to help simplify the software installation process and to answer questions that you may have. Don't forget to visit the TaxWise Solution Center on a regular basis, this is where you'll find regular software updates, important information from Customer Care and the IRS, Community Discussion Centers, an extensive searchable knowledge library, and the status of your e-filed returns. — Happy filing!NOTE: For customers who have purchased the Tax Season Essentials program, you can conveniently download it from the Customer Care site.
What's New in TaxWise 2016
New Look and Feel
TaxWise Online has been updated with a new modern look and feel throughout the application. This includes the following:
- A new dashboard that provides quick access to the program help, the TaxWise Blog, and other resources useful during return preparation.
- Tax Returns, e-Filing and Reports are now organized into top level menus.
- Product settings, including Manage Users and Return Templates, have been organized into a common location.
- The pre-defined return list views (All Returns, Accepted Returns, Active Returns, etc.) are now easily accessible above the relocated Search box.
- You are now able to choose one of the two color themes of the product for personalization and visibility.
TaxWise Online now supports the following browsers:
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer 11
User and Role Changes
The Admin user may now create returns in TaxWise Online. This functionality is not available to users only assigned the Administrator role.
Returns can now be created with the initial release of TaxWise Online. If the tax forms are not finalized by the federal or state taxing authority, any returns created might not be compatible with the next release and could result in the loss of some data or the need to create a new return.
Available in December 2016, TaxWise Online now provides a secure, fast way to capture and store the documents and files associated to a client's return. Customers can use one of our certified USB cameras to snap pictures of any document presented to you by a taxpayer. You can also import files provided to you electronically (PDFs, pictures, document). These files are stored securely alongside the return (Loaded Forms), and are managed from within the tax return.
- Sobetter USB Camera (B01FXAXMHE)
- Hue HD USB Camera (PC0004)
Please note: other USB and built-in cameras may function perfectly with TaxWise Online's Vault. Customer support can only provide assistance with the certified cameras above.
The new export returns feature generates a secure backup file of your client data if you want to keep an offline copy of your client information.
Multi-Office Management Quick View
If you manage multiple offices, you will now see new dashboard widgets that provide a quick view of the e-File status and Settlement Solutions enrollment status for all your sub-offices.
Late this July, the IRS Security Summit imposed stricter requirements for handling sensitive taxpayer data. As members of the Summit, we are upgrading our products to meet the recommendations and best practices set forth by the Summit in IRS Publication 4557, Safeguarding Taxpayer Data.
The initial release of TaxWise will require all users (except the Training user and other users assigned to the Training security group) to establish a password associated with their user name. Passwords must follow the following guidelines:
- 8-20 Characters
- 1 UPPER case letter
- 1 lower case letter
- 1 number
- 1 special character (ex. ? ! $ _ *)
Additional Security Changes
- User passwords will expire after 90 days. After this time period, you will be required to enter a new password for all users that follow the guidelines above.
- Users are required to reenter their password after being logged into TaxWise for 24 hours regardless of activity.
- Users are required to reenter their password after 15 minutes of inactivity in TaxWise.
TaxWise has added integration with CCH® IntelliConnect® to allow you easy access to valuable resources in preparing returns. The new Tax Help menu allows you access to the Master Tax Guide, IRS Publications, Forms Library, and Practice Aids and Line Explanations (Form 1040, Form 1041, Form 1065, Form 1120, and Form 1120S). From this new menu, you can also access the TaxWise Community Boards, CCH Webinars, CCH Self Study courses, and courses where you can receive CPE credits through CPELink.
Tax Help also allows you to use the CCH® IntelliConnect® Browser Search which allows you to search online using your default Internet browser. This can be installed immediately following the installation of TaxWise.
The content available to you varies based on the tax package you purchased. Click the Upgrade My Tax Help menu item to learn more about purchasing additional content.
Multiple Ohio SD-100 Returns
TaxWise now gives you the ability to load multiple Ohio SD-100 School District returns in your IT-1040 returns.
- TaxWise has changed the Return Status column to Fed Return Status and added the State Return Status column. Please note that only the first state entered in the Full Year Resident field on the Main Information Sheet will be shown in this column. This change is for 1040 returns only.
- TaxWise has made changes to the Search by functionality in the Return List so that whichever option you select to search by will become the default until you change it again.
- Setup of e-signature has been simplified, and last year's security key has been integrated into TaxWise. Just input the email address for the administrative user into Setup Assistant, and click the Setup/Manage button.
- You now have the ability to select which forms are submitted for electronic signatures by selecting a default Print Packet for e-Signature in Setup Assistant.
- Customers utilizing settlement solutions can now utilize e-signature for bank signature forms.
TaxWise Setup Checklist
Store the code to install your software for future use (found on the fulfillment slip, shipping email, or on the Solution Center download page) you will need this code to: activate your software, log in to the Solution Center for the first time, or reset your ADMIN password on the Solution Center. The Solution Center password for ADMIN does not reset to the product installation code each year.
To ensure you receive your Shipping Confirmation Email, be sure to add cchsfs.com as a safe sender.
Verify that you are in compliance with IRS regulatory requirements. We recommend you:
- Renew Your PTIN and ensure your staff members have renewed their PTINs.
- Update your e-file application or apply for a new EFIN if needed. Consult IRS Pub 3112 for more information.
- Review EITC due diligence and IRS Circular 230 requirements and confirm your office procedures comply.
- Train on 2016 tax law changes, Affordable Care Act, EIC due diligence, ethics, and other topics, as needed for your practice and professional designation. Resources are listed below:
This CCH online library, powered by IntelliConnect, provides a one-stop resource for all tax-related aspects of health care reform.
- Master Tax Guide
- ACA: Law, Regulatory Explanation & Analysis
- California Taxes, Guidebook To (2016)
- Guidebook To New York 2016
- 2016 Guidebook to Texas Taxes
- State Tax Handbook
- TheTaxBook — Deluxe Edition
- TheTaxBook — 1040 Edition
- AFSP program available on National Tax School
- Exam Preparation from Surgent
- This CCH online library, powered by IntelliConnect, provides a one-stop resource for all tax-related aspects of health care reform.
The TaxWise Solution Center offers news, information, and advice for using TaxWise.
- Log in to the TaxWise Solution Center. Click Login at top of page. Enter your Client ID. In the User Name field, enter admin. In the Password field, enter code to install your software found on your Fulfillment Confirmation Slip. You will be prompted to create a new password. Follow the prompts.
- Verify and if needed, update your office address, email, contact names, credit card and other company information on file with SFS. (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then My Office link.)
- Verify your e-filing, bank program and other transactional fees BEFORE you start preparing and e-filing tax returns! (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then Per Return Fees link.)
- Make sure we have your EFIN on file or you will not be able to e-file returns. (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then EFIN Request.)
- Enter Customer Environment information. (Log in as ADMIN, click My Information, then Environment.)
- Add, edit or deactivate users. (Log in as ADMIN, click Manage Users in the top left corner.)
- If you purchased Return Retrieval, download copies of your prior year e-filed returns. To purchase Return Retrieval, call your Account Manager at 800-495-4626.
- On the Solution Center login page, click Need Help?
- Knowledge Library — Answer ID 947, Unable to log into the Customer Support Site
- Knowledge Library — Answer ID 378, User Roles and Functions Chart
- Enroll in a bank program or FeeCollect by completing the application on the TaxWise Solution Center.
- Verify your e-filing, bank program or other transactional fees on the TaxWise Solution Center BEFORE you start e-filing!
- Enter certain non-preparer fees on the Price Sheet in TaxWise using Tax Form Defaults.
- Comply with training, due diligence and other requirements of your bank.
- Download bank software (available in December on the Solution Center Download page).
- Order checks from your bank if you will print checks for clients.
- Familiarize yourself and staff with the check printing process.
TaxWise Desktop customers must configure and download state modules. TaxWise Online performs these updates automatically so your tax software is ready to work when you are!
- Add states to your tax package on the Solution Center
- Download state modules from the Solution Center
- TaxWise Program Help (access from Help Menu) — Getting State/Bank Software and Program Updates
- TaxWise 2016 User Guide (access from Toolbar) — Program Updates and Module Updates
- Click here to access the online Quick Start Guide
Install your programs when your shipment arrives. Follow the instructions that fit your office setup on the System Requirements.
- Instead of installing from the DVD, you may download the installation from the TaxWise Solution Center.
- Log in to the Solution Center, click the Download tab on the Solution Center.
- From the Product Updates page, click TaxWise Software on the left of the page.
- Click the link under Current Year Software to begin the download.
- Instead of installing from the DVD, you may download the installation from the TaxWise Solution Center.
If your package includes TaxWise Online, use your Client ID and Registration Code found on the enclosed Fulfillment Confirmation Slip to log in to the TaxWise Online websites listed below.
- Complete TaxWise Online Pre-Season Setup and Training
- Quick Start Guide
- Your Fulfillment Confirmation Slip
TaxWise Setup Assistant
For 2016, the TaxWise Setup Assistant is smarter, helping you quickly setup for tax season. After you install and open TaxWise, the new Setup Assistant will open to walk you through the following:
- Register software
- Configure settings
- Set up office information
- Set up users and groups (do this while logged in to TaxWise as Admin)
- Set up printers and your network
- Set up general options
- Carry forward returns and other data
Set Tax Form Defaults
- Edit Tax Form Defaults (do this while logged in to TaxWise as Admin). This means adding information to forms that you want to appear in every return, for example:
- Fees on the Price Sheet
- EFIN and ERO information on Form 8879
- Preparer PIN on Main Info, and more
- Modify client letters if needed. Add a letter to Tax Form Defaults if you want it to print with every return.
NOTE: You must set Tax Form Defaults in each federal module you will use.
- TaxWise Program Help (access from Help Menu) — Tax Form Defaults; Working with Client Letters
- TaxWise 2016 User Guide (access from Toolbar) — Tax Form Defaults; Working with Client Letters
Set Print Defaults
Modify Print Packets to fit your practice, if needed.
- TaxWise Program Help (access from Help Menu) — Print Defaults
- TaxWise 2016 User Guide (access from Toolbar) — Print Defaults
- Subscribe to IRS Quick Alerts, e-News for Tax Professionals and more
- Visit the IRS Return Preparer Office Facebook page
- Download the TaxWise Companion mobile app for iPhone, Android, and Windows 8
- Join the TaxWise Community Discussion Board on the Solution Center
- Read the TaxWise Blog; access from within TaxWise
- Find answers in the Knowledge Library
- Read the TaxWise Online Blog; access from within TaxWise Online
- TaxWise Solution Center or access from within TaxWise
- Knowledge Library (Knowledgebase): Access from the Solution Center
- TaxWise Blog: Access from within TaxWise or from the Solution Center
- TaxWise Community Board: Access from the Solution Center
- Customer Care Bulletin email: Don't miss important information (you must opt in)
- Support Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Support Phone: 866-641-9473
TaxWise 2016 Training Resources
Choose from new user orientation, on-site training, custom webinars or recorded sessions to help you get the most from your tax and accounting software.